Mossano


Piazza Municipio
36020 Mossano (VI)

Districts: Ponte di Mossano, San Giovanni.
Area: 13.98 Kmq SLM: 89m
Population: 1686 (in 1998)

Name origin: The meaning of the name "Mossano" is still discussed. Some think the name has an erudite origin, from the Latin Mons sanus (healthy mountain), others bealieve it comes from the Latin personal name Mussius, yet both explanations lack substiantial proofs. It is more likely that the origin of this name be some non-Latin word, like muzzus, that describes some characteristics of the landscape.

History: The steep, cave-scattered, sun-exposed slopes provided ideal living areas for man since the Palaeolithic Age. In Mossano traces of prehistoric living have been found in two caves: S.Bernardino's and Paina Caves. Archaeological enquiries have been carried out in these two caves for more then 30 years by scholars of the renowned Palaeontology Department of the Science Faculty of Ferrara University, first under the surveillance of Professor Pietro Leonardi, and lately under that of Professor Alberto Broglio. A hearth dicovered in S.Bernardino's cave had scholars to move back of 20.000 years the start fire-using by men, and the oldest examples of hearth-related industry has been named bernardinian, because of the ground-breaking discoveries made in this Berici Hills site. But there's more then just prehistoric facts about S.Bernardino's Cave: the cave was named after the franciscan Saint when he came to Vicenza from 1423 to 1433, on his tour of preaches against usury. S.Bernardino would stay at the franciscan monastery of S.Pancrazio in Barbarano, but would go to meditate to Palý Cave, as it was then called. When the Saint left, the cave became a shrine, and its interior was decorated. This cave was also the scene of a terrible massacre: in 1510, during the Cambrai War of the European powers against the Republic of Venice, imperial troops, after conquering Vicenza, moved southwards, to assault the castle of Longare. Longare's castle resisted, and the irritated troops started pillaging the countryside around. Civilians in their hundreds ran for shelter to the cave, but their hideaway was discovered: the imperial troops set fire to bundles and pieces of wood they had amassed at the entrance to the cave, smothering all the refugees to their death. More then 1200 people died. Since then, on the 20th of May, S.Bernardino's Day, the event is remembered by a procession and a memorial Mass. Te fact that the Paish Church is dedicated to St.Peter the Apostle, sign of prominence in the 4th-5th century, may hint to some special role of the town in those times. But we know that in the 10th century Mossano belonged to Barbarano's curtis, bestowed as a fief by Emperor Lothar of Provence to the Bishop of Vicenza. During the 13th century, Mossano was owned by Counts Pilo of Sossano. The valley of Mossano used to be a swamp, and we know there were even two lakes, in Montruglio and in Mezzana. This abundance of water was employed to make 12 mills work. A thermal waterspring is also present in Mossano, now abandoned, but once much attended by locals, as Filippo Pigafetta mantains: "Healthy springs of hot water can be found there, made accessible by my family for the benefit of the sick". The Pigafettas were masters of large properties in Montruglio and Ponte di Mossano, where we can see their Tower-house, a beautiful example of medieval fortified farm.
Events:
Sagra delle Rose in giugno a Ponte di Mossano
Festa della Valle dei Mulini a fine giugno
Sagra di San Giuseppe il 23 luglio
Festa della Trebbiatura fine luglio - primi di agosto
Festa del Pesce Gatto a settembre
Festa dell''arna (anitra) in ottobre.
Associazioni:
Pro Loco Mossano
Coltivatori Diretti
Donatori di Sangue
AIDO
Associazione Combattenti e Reduci
Associazione Alpini
Polisportiva Albatros
APIS (Associazione promozione iniziative sociali)
Associazione Anziani.
Centralino:
Tel. 0444.7896046
Ufficio Postale:
Via Marconi, 9
Ponte di Mossano
Tel. 0444.795016

Mossano's coat-of-arms